Balboa Bash – Jan 18-20th, 2013
Balboa Bash is Calgary’s newest and most exciting dance festival weekend, dedicated 100% to the balboa dance. The event is put on by Toe Tappin’ Swing, with support from numerous dedicated volunteers in the Calgary dance scene.
What you can expect from the weekend!
- Featuring our awesome instructor lineup – 2 TRACKS of CLASSES!
- All the classes will be custom tailored to the students in the class, you will be getting exactly what you need to improve your own dancing
- THREE spectacular nights of dancing! – Bands TBA
- Private Lessons available from all instructors
- Discounted Hotel rooms available right across the street from DancEnergy!
- And much more! Grab your spot today before they are all gone
What is Balboa?
Balboa is a closed position dance that was popularized in the 1930s in California. Meant for dancing in crowded big band dance halls, this dance is all about partner connection and fancy footwork. Balboa is a GREAT dance to learn if you are interested in dancing to faster tempos of jazz music!
Just check out these videos below for some fantastic examples of what the Balboa looks like!
- Venice Beach Swing Dancers Sept. 1938
- Willie Desatoff & Ann Mills, Hal & Marge Takier Balboa Demo
- 2009 ILHC Balboa Finals – Jeremy & Laura (teachers during Balboa Bash)